Coquitlam SAR members found a Christmas gift in our stocking this week with the arrival of our newest piece of equipment: A new Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Side-by-side UTV (Utility Task Vehicle).
The new UTV replaces Coquitlam 5, an Argo Avenger 8×8 first put into service in 2006. Coquitlam 5 served our team well, and was part of many SAR operations on Eagle Ridge, Burke Mountain, and the upper Pitt River valley.
The new Honda 1000-5 was chosen for it’s utility – the ability to comfortably seat 5, a sheltered cab, and equipment carrying capability. To the base unit we added the following:
- Hybrid roof / door system (hard roof and doors, soft rear doors and roof)
- Protection kit: skid plates, bush bumpers on front a rear
- Camso tracks kit for snow travel
- Heater and defroster for winter operations
- Glass windsheild and wipers for foul weather operations
- front and rear lighting for safety and remote operations,
- a winch for recovery.
In addition the unit will be outfitted with a radio and will be used for remote communications relay.
Coquitlam SAR would like to thank the following groups for their help with this project
- The BC Search and Rescue Association for their grant which partially funded the project
- the City of Coquitlam for their assistance and continued support of Coquitlam SAR
- Joyce Knight Memorial and the Knight family for fundraising specific to this project
- Julian Knight who acted as project manager
- Honda Centre Vancouver who assisted the team with the build and excellent service throughout